Haven't posted on here in a while.
Maybe I'll start back up again.

Monday, March 29, 2010

S-M-R-T

Sorry for not posting on here in a while. This blog is actually one I jotted down a few years ago.

What exactly makes someone intelligent?
I would say most people think of an intelligent person as someone who can solve complicated math, write difficult computer programs, balance chemical equations, or tell you how things moving at the speed of light relate to each other. It could be someone who knows philosophy thoroughly, or scores perfectly on the SAT's. Numerous girls say they want an intelligent partner, and normally follow that statement with, "someone who can carry on a good conversation, make witty remarks and rebuttals." I would say that is a very loose interpretation of intelligent.
As with most of my blogs, I'm not talking really about myself but rather something I find intriguing.

Who is actually more intelligent?
The guy who studies hard in high school, gets into a good college because of a good gpa, SAT etc, studies his ass off in college, just so he can spend even more of his time on his major/field of interest in graduate school, eventually hopefully leading to a well paying job by age 30
OR
what about the guy who does average in school, but focused a fair amount on social interaction, being popular with the ladies, making a lot of friends and connections, acquiring a "golden tongue" so to speak.
This is just one comparison of many you could make.

Just like all things in life, intelligence is relative, differing from each individual's perspective. Is the goal to be financially successful? do what you love? bang a lot of chicks? make your name known? find that special someone? have a strong religious faith? and the list goes on...

As a personal reflection, maybe I should have spent more time on social skills in high school, instead of being so sheltered and nerdy. I don't really care about making a lot of money, I could have got by with a lower SAT and gpa. Maybe I should have picked up the guitar instead of the violin, maybe I should have worn trendier clothing. Instead of turning each crush I had into some ideal manifestation, maybe I could have really got to know her and avoided being such an awkward shy mess. Maybe I should have tried to be popular, instead of reserved and hiding myself in the shadows. Maybe I should have bragged and showed off more, then I might have been "most musical" in the yearbook, and in the yearbook on more than 2 pages. Maybe I should stop wavering on the fence and pick a side.

Well I'll stop my rambling there.

No comments:

Post a Comment